Welcome to Mealsndrinks. Bombay (Mumbai) is the hub of Chicken Frankie. Today we will share you Chicken Frankie Recipe, which is popular street food in Mumbai streets now and worldwide. It originated in 1930 by Mumbai Streets vendors, who generally serve this dish to Bollywood stars and ordinary peoples.
Chicken Frankie is one of the most loved street food in India, popularly known as Bombay Frankie worldwide. In 2016, The First time I came to understand that this roll is Chicken Frankie or Kathi Rolls. I visited Mumbai and experienced street foods like vada pao, bhel puri, pav bhaji, and sev puri first time in my life.
Chicken Frankie rolls and Kathi Rolls have spicy, tangy, and smokey aromatic flavor, filling our mouth with excellent taste, chicken juiciness, and veggies.
Kathi Rolls is the most famous street food in Kolkata, West Bengal. Kathi Rolls are stuffed with Chicken Seekh Kebab or Kathi Kabab, mainly roasted by skewers. Now it is a trendy dish in the United States (US) and Canada. Citizens of the US and Canada mostly see the Kathi Rolls in the menu card of Indian restaurants.
Originally Kathi rolls are stuffed with beef. Now we have some varieties. In Kathi rolls, there are mainly two varieties of Chicken Roll and Egg Roll. It is generally prepared by the chicken kebabs that are further tossed with onions, veggies, and sauces on the Tawa after that laid it in straight or egg coated parathas. Read more about Kathi Rolls at Wikipedia.
Difference between Chicken Frankie and Kathi Rolls?
There is a ridiculous difference between these two rolls i.e., Chicken Frankie and Kathi Rolls, just like calling the sandwich and burger is the same thing.
- Frankie’s are from Bombay (Mumbai), while Kathi rolls are from Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Frankie contains egg layered paratha or roti, and Kathi rolls include plain roti or paratha.
- Frankie is wrapped in Aluminium foil while Kathi rolls are wrapped in paper.
Chicken Frankie and Kathi are very similar to each other Chicken Frankie is a little bit juicy in texture while the Kathi roll is dry veggies.
The Taste and Variation of Chicken Frankie
Chicken Frankie varies different tastes as per other regions and various cooking styles. This finger-licking dish, aromatic, smokey, mouth-watering dish is almost all over India in each city corner.
It can be stuffed with meats, vegetables, beef, mutton, potatoes, egg, mushroom, and Paneer.
Tips to Healthify your Dish
- For healthy Chicken Frankie, you can go with Wheat flour to prepare the roti or paratha that will be the base of the Chicken Frankie.
- Before cutting the veggies, wash the veggies like tomato, chilies, green coriander leaves.
- Don’t add too many spices while preparing it that will result in other stomach related problems.
- Wash boneless chicken flesh with two water and drain the water. Put to a separate bowl to avoid contamination.
- Use less oil as required for cooking.
Vegetarian Chicken Frankie
Are you a vegetarian? Then try this Frankie with Paneer, potatoes, green peas, mushroom, and capsicums. The combination of Paneer with white sauce is delicious. You may try this heavenly Chicken Frankie fusion. This delicious taste will make your mouth watery must try the Chicken Frankie recipe.
Are you a meat lover? If yes, you must have to try this Frankie with lamb meat, pork, mutton, Chicken and Beef with the infusion of schezwan chili sauce. You may add white sauce and pesto. This is also a deadly combination that will tempt you to eat. Even miscellaneous chefs do the experiments, then why don’t you must try the Chicken Frankie recipe.
Key Ingredients in Chicken Frankie
Vinegar is a solution that is generally acetic acid or grain-based ethanol, which is mixed with water to make it suitable for cooking. It gives you a Tangy Flavor.
It is generally used for aromatic flavor, which results in a fresh and light taste to the dish. It is also used for garnishing Dish.
3.Ginger and Garlic
It provides us a pleasing aroma and helps in digesting the food. It also tenderizes the meat.
It is lighter flour than the wheat flour. It is used on many scales in the home while preparing sauces, Samosa, and snacks. It has refined flour, which helps in preparing the slices of bread quickly.
Garnishing and Serving Suggestions
Chicken Frankie is served hot. Before performing the dish, we have to garnish the dish. We can decorate it with finely Coriander leaves, caramelized onion, green chutney, and tomato sauce. The dish should be cut into bite pieces by the knife as per the guest’s request. We can pin both ends of the dish by toothpick to avoid opening the rolls.
Tasty Chicken Frankie Recipe
Now, you can serve your kids, guests, and your family. This dish can be used as snacks and dinner. You may pack this dish for a picnic, adventure, and travels.Print
Chicken Frankie is famous street food from Mumbai. This dish is easy to prepare enriches in a little bit of spicy and tangy flavor. Just imagine one bite of Chicken Frankie the juiciness and the tanginess with smoky flavor infusion, the heavenly and deadly combination you must have to try.
- 300 gm boneless chicken
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- ½tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup wheat flour/ refined flour (maida)
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp green chutney (Optional)
- 2–3 tbsp tomato sauce (Optional)
1) Cut the boneless chicken into small cube sizes.
2) Place pan/skillet on flame, add oil in it.
3) Add onion and cook it until the color changes to brown.
4) After that, add ginger garlic paste to it and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5) Now add tomato and let it cook for 10-15 minutes until the smell of tomato goes out.
6) When the tomato mixes, then add all the mentioned spices in ingredients.
7) Add chicken cubes, salt as per the taste and pour some water in the pan. Cook it until the chicken is done.
8) Avoid sticking the chicken to the pan; cook by placing the lid above.
9) Turn off the flame when all water dried up.
1) Make a soft dough (mix flour& salt) by pouring some water and knead the dough well. Keep aside for 5 minutes. Now whisk the 2 eggs and keep aside.
2) Knockback the dough, sprinkle some water, then knead the dough once again.
3) Divide the dough in equal proportion for making the roti/chapatti of equivalent sizes.
4) Place Tawa on the flame put the roti/chapatti, and cook for a while. When bubbling starts, flip the roti/chapatti.
5) Apply the 1/4 whisked egg to the roti and flip it to another side.
6) Let the egg side roti cook, pour some oil to the Tawa side by side.
7) after 30-45 sec, remove the roti similarly make 3 more roti
8) Turn the flame off.
1) Add slices of onion, coriander leaves, chicken, lemon juice, and mix well.
2) Divide the equal proportion of the mixture as we have 4 Roti.
3) Place 1 Roti, add the mix, and spread it vertically.
4) Add Mayonnaise, green chutney, and tomato sauce and roll it tightly.
5) Serve hot.
You may cook roti and a mixture of chicken and veggies in advance.
Observe and be attentive while cooking Roti/ chapatti as it is very thin burns quickly.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Moderate Cooking
- Cuisine: Indian Cuisine
- Serving Size: 1 Frankie
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 292mg
- Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 20g
Keywords: Chicken, Chicken Frankie, Chicken Frankie Recipe, Kathi Rolls, Kathi Rolls Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
From Where Chicken Frankie dish originated?
Chicken Frankie is originated from Mumbai, India in the year 1930. Specially, it was served to Bollywood Stars.
Is Chicken Frankie is rich in Calories?
Yes, Chicken Frankie enrich in Calories 236. It may varies by the selection of ingredients, country to country, State to State.
Is Chicken Frankie is healthy food?
Yes, We can cook the tortilla/Roti/Chapati with wheat flour instead of Refined Flour. As Refined Flour is very fine and thin in Texture in comparison to Wheat Flour. It may cause stomach Related Problems. So, You can go with Wheat Flour.
Here I made The Best Chicken Frankie Recipe which is slightly similar to Kathi rolls. Have you any Queries in your mind related to Chicken Frankie? Let’s Discuss it in the comment section below. Make Recipe at your home and share the recipe pictures with us on Instagram. Handles Below and get featured:-
SUBSCRIBE MEALSNDRINKS FOR TASTY RECIPES LIKE THIS !!
You may connect with us on Social Media Platform
Never miss a recipe Here!!
Have a new recipe ideas to share with us?? Let us know in our social handles!!
HAPPY COOKING !!
#chickens#streetfood#streetfoodindia #kathiroll #kathirolls #chickenfrankie#kolkata#mumbaistreetfood#kolkatafoodie#quickrecipes#chickenfrankieroll#chickenfrakie#chef#chefstreetfood#tasty#yummy#nonvegfoods#vegfrankie#frankie#frankieroll#frankierolls#frankiefood#mealsndrinks