Welcome to Mealsndrinks. Today I am going to share a Navaratri special dish, “Shakarkandi Chaat.” When Shakarkandi chaat name comes to our mind, we assume the sweet, tangy, and crispy food made by Sweet potato (shakarkandi) that is further seasoned with chaat masala, spices and garnished with pomegranate seeds, or various type of toppings.
This a good alternative from the regular Chaat of Samosas and potatoes. One bite of Shakarkandi Chaat will burst great flavor in our mouth like tanginess, sweetness, spiciness, crunchiness, and sourness. It is generally prepared with Sindha namak that can be used during fasting, especially in the Navaratri Festival.
What is Chaat?
Chaat is a Savoury snack that is originated in Uttar Pradesh, India. Now generally served as a starter or snacks in the streets of cities like in Vendor or Thella’s. Popular derived cities are Lucknow, Mathura, Meerut, Muzaffarnagar, and Varanasi. The taste of Chaat can be different vendor to vendor as per the ingredients and cooking styles.
LUCKNOW RECIPE :- GALOUTI KEBAB
Types of Chaats
- Aloo Chaat
- Masala Puri
- Papri Chaat
- Raj kachori
- Dahi Vada
- Mong Dal Chaat
- Samosa Chaat
Sweet Potato Chaat (Shakarkandi Chaat)
Shakarkandi Chaat is a popular winter snack, prepared in Streets sides by Vendors and mainly consumed during Durga Puja Festival, Navaratri during Fasting.
Sweet Potatoes are not only delicious but also contains high Calorific value.
There are various ways to cook Sweet potato or Shakarkandi like Fries, halwa, Chips, Chaat, Boiled, and many more.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato (Shakarkandi)
- It contains high carotene that helps in keeping skin clean, smooth, and young.
- It has a high content of potassium that helps in maintaining and controlling the blood pressure.
- Shakarkandi enriches in magnesium that helps in reducing the stress level.
- Helps in gaining weight as it is easy to digest and enriches in various number of vitamins like (Vitamin A, B2, B3, B6, B9, and so on)
How to make Sweet Potato Chaat (Shakarkandi Chaat) ?
There are several different variations to cook Sweet Potato Chaat. Follow our Shakarkandi Chaat Recipe step by step for sweet and straightforward Shakarkandi Chaat Recipe.
You can garnish Sweet Potato Chaat by Green coriander leaves (cilantro), roasted peanuts, pomegranate seeds, crushed papdi, and sev. We can add Curd, green chutney, Emeli pani, as well.
We can add diced cucumber, diced apples, diced carrots, and peas sprouts for the dish’s texture. You may squeeze some lime juice to it for tangy and sour taste.
Shakarkandi Chaat is
- Easy to Digest
- Can be consumed while Fasting
- Perfect for summer
- Light and easy to digest
Below is a Recipe Card of Shakarkandi Recipe:–Print
Shakarkandi Chaat is a delicious Gluten-free dish perfect for winter and summer or any time in the year. This Dish is special for Navaratri fasting, simple and easy to prepare Sweet potato chaat.
- 500g Shakarkandi or Sweet Potato
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Chaat masala
- 1 tbsp Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Roasted cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp Amchur Powder (Optional)
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- Curd for toppings
- Rock salt as per taste
- 2–3 green chilies finely chopped
- Some dices of Cubbed Cucumber (optional)
- Some dices of Cubbed Carrots (optional)
- Some dices of Cubbed Apples (optional)
- A bunch of Green coriander leaves
1) Clean and wash the Ground sweet potatoes.
2) Steam it in a Pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
3) Turn the flame off and drain the water.
4) Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into dice form.
1) Take a bowl to add diced sweet potatoes, add Roasted cumin seeds, chaat masala, amchur powder, sugar, rock salt, green chilies. You can add the spices s per your requirements and taste.
2) Now add diced cucumber, apples, and carrots. Add lemon juice and mix it slowly by spoon.
3) Check the taste of Shakarkandi Chaat, add some spice and salt if required.
4) Do topping with curd and Garnish it with chopped green coriander leaves.
5) Serve Sweet Potato Chaat (Shakarkandi Chaat)
1) Black salt can also be used in place of Rock salt.
2) Spices and salt can be added as per the taste.
3) If you are not making for Navaratri special you can add curd, tamarind water, Green chutney in it.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Indian Cuisine
- Serving Size: 140 g
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 920mg
- Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: Shakarkandi Chaat Recipe, Shakarkandi Chaat, Chaat, Sweet Potato Chaat, Sweet Potato Recipe, Sweet Potato Chaat Recipe, Navratri
Here is How I made the Easy & Yummy Shakarkandi Chaat Recipe at my home. Don’t Forget to Serve this Delicious Hot Dish to your Family, kids, friends, VIP Guests.
Feel Free to Share Sweet Potato Recipe in our Social Media Handles. Don’t Forget to Mention #mealsndrinks to get a feature in our Instagram Story.
SUBSCRIBE MEALSNDRINKS FOR YUMMY & TASTY RECIPES LIKE THIS !!
You may connect with us on Social Media Platform
HAPPY COOKING !!