Welcome to Mealsndrinks. Today I will share one of the delicious recipes prepared without grinding and any special spices—Chettinad Mutton Curry, which is popularly known as Uppu Kari in Tamil Nadu state, South India. Now Uppu Kari becomes a very famous Chettinad dish all over India.
Mutton Curry is also known as lamb curry or Goat curry, is an Indian dish. Mutton Curry is generally prepared by adding all the ingredients to an earthen pot and cooking in low flame. You may cook it in a pressure cooker and after that, saute it to fuse the delightful aroma to Mutton curry.
Chettinad Cuisine comes from the region of the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu (South India). In Chettinad Cuisine is also known as salted meat and salted vegetables. The dish is generally consumed with rice.
Some Chettinad Popular Vegetarian Dishes
- Masala seeyam
Unique Key Ingredients of Chettinad Mutton Curry or Uppu Kari
- Star Anise
- Fennel seeds
- Bay Leaf
- Cumin seeds
How to Make Uppu Carry or Chettinad Mutton Curry in a home?
- Assemble all the ingredients and clean mutton in the Pressure cooker and add water in it.
- Now Saute it to add the flavor to the dish.
- Roast it in low flame till it becomes dry.
- Now Serve it.
Chettinad Mutton Curry is an ideal dish that consists Ample of flavors of spices. It has a zesty mix of ginger, garlic fennel seeds, cumin seeds, clove, and curry leaves. This Chettinad Curry Leaves or Uppu Kari is one of the unique dishes that make your plate and your mouth fill with spicy and tangy flavors.
- 1 Kg Mutton cut into small pieces
- 200g Shallot (Madras Onion)
- 1 Garlic Pods
- 20 Dried Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 100g Tomato
- Salt to taste
- 150ml Oil
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 2 curry leaves
- ½ tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 Star Anise (optional)
1) Take Meat cut into small pieces, wash and keep it a bowl.
2) Take the pressure cooker, add oil, add onion, garlic pods, ginger garlic paste, and cook it for 10 minutes. Add tomato and saute it.
3) in a bowl, Mix meat pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
4) Add meat to the pressure cooker along with all the ingredients and saute it. Cook it in low flame for 10 minutes.
5) Now add water about 1/3 in the pressure cooker. And cook it for 4 whistles.
6) Let them cook. Now Place a pan on the flame, add oil, curry leaves, red chilies (Break into 2 pieces), and fennel leaves.
7) When the 4 whistles are done, transfer it to the pan once the pressure is gone.
8) Cook it until meat is dried up. Garnish it with Curry leaves and juliennes of Garlic
9) Serve it with Rice.
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Moderate Cooking
- Cuisine: Chettinad Cuisine
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 294
- Sodium: 72mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 97mg
Keywords: Non-Veg, Mutton, Uppu Kari, Chettinad, Mutton Fry, Mutton Kari
So, This Non-Veg Recipe is for Today, If you love this then share your experience in the comment section below and not forget to share the recipe picture with us on Social Media and Mention #Mealsndrinks to get featured in our story.
SUBSCRIBE MEALSNDRINKS FOR TASTY RECIPES LIKE THIS !!
You may connect with us on Social Media Platforms
Never miss a recipe Here!!
Happy Cooking !!